Monday, May 24, 2010

Idle Temperature Comparison versus old NB Motherboard waterblock

Prior to the Full board waterblock I was running Swiftech's MCW-NBMAX to cool the NB.
Here I will compare the difference in idle temps versus the EK-FB RE3.  (Note:  I never ran this board with the stock passive NB Heatsink, so I don't know what the idle temps would be if I did at 4.3Ghz.



The idle temps using the MCW-NBMAX to water cool the NB only can be seen in PC-PROBE, screen shot below.
















After the installation of the EK-FB RE3, the idle temps are seen in PC Probe here:














Big drop in temperature across the board.

5 comments:

  1. Nice drop in temps. 9 on NB and 12 on SB, But a rise of 2C idle, and 6.6C load temps on the CPU. So is the lower NB/SB worth the slightly higher CPU?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the load temps are very accurate since I wasn't testing the cpu @ real load in these pics, but I did run Linpack and take screenshots at full load temps, I will update that hopefully tonight. As for the CPU going up 2C, it's definitely worth it for approximately a 1Ghz overclock for the 6 core 980. 35C is still pretty low to me. I'll post up the full load temps for a netter comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't get around to posting the results tonight. I did arrange all the images though; hopefully I will post the cpu load temps tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks to me that before the CPU was still running 4.3, but the NB/SB was just hotter, But ofcourse I could be blind, :) But In the end I think it would be worth having a chipset WB. if the load temps aren't changed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, in the end, the load temps really don't change on the cpu,just a cooler NB/ SB. I also think it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete